Synergy FCU began operation on February 20, 1980 as Valero Federal Credit Union, along with the start of Valero Energy Corporation. The credit union started in a small office on the 3rd floor of the Valero Towers located at 530 McCullough, in San Antonio, TX.
Leadership through the years
- William Manelos: Manager from 1980-1986
- Leo Jordan: President/CEO 1986-1997
- Sam Stull: President/CEO 1997 to 2005
- Sean Murphy: President/CEO 2005 to present
Growth through the years
In 1980, with a staff of 4 employees, 1,340 members and assets of $1,433,927, Synergy FCU began to plant its roots in the community. As the credit union staff increased, more services and conveniences became available to the membership.
The main branch of the credit union is located in the Valero Eneegy corporate building in San Antonio, TX. Synergy FCU continued to grow and the following branches were opened:
- In 1985, Corpus Christi Valero Refinery
- In 1997, Texas City Refinery
- In 1999, Houston Refinery
- In 2009, Port Arthur Refinery
- In 2011, San Antonio - Ridgewood Parkway
- In 2020, Three Rivers Refinery
On April 4, 2011, Valero FCU changed its name to Synergy Federal Credit Union. Synergy FCU has gone through many changes throughout the years but the one thing that has not changed is we are here to: Service our members... First, Last, Always.